Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Candy Counting

I can't take credit for coming up with this one. I saw it months ago on some one's blog. I thought it was a fun idea, but when December came and I went to look for it, I couldn't remember where I had seen it and I had to make up my own.

I found a good picture of Santa with lots of open white space, and put it into Microsoft Word. Then I used the auto-shapes tool to add 20 circles all over his beard and hat brim. Then I printed out a copy for each of my kids. I liked it, but I think next year I'll find a blank Christmas tree image, and then when I add the circles it will look like Christmas balls. Just a cute change.


The first thing I had them work on was coloring it. The blog I got the idea from had a really cute Santa that was in color, but since I couldn't find it, I decided on doing a black and white one and save myself the printer ink.

When they were done coloring, I showed them the bowl of Christmas-colored treats and the dice, and explained the rules for the game.

When it is your turn, roll the dice. If, for example, you roll a three, you get to put three jelly-beans (or m&ms or whatever you want) onto the circles. The first player to have filled all 20 circles is the winner. After your circles are filled, you get to eat up the treats as your prize.

Here is the moment when my three-year-old won the game and filled all his circles before his big brother and big sister. He was so proud!

Enjoying his victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...