Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lamingtons

My family all love this treat, but somehow I can only bring myself to make it in the winter when it is snowy outside. It has coconut on it, so maybe it is something about that that reminds me of snow. Who knows?

Lamingtons, if you are unfamiliar with them, are squares of cake that are rolled in icing and coconut. Pretty simple to make, and it gives the kids a chance to get messy in the kitchen, which they enjoy.

For the cake:
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon lemon OR vanilla extract

Beat eggs for 5 minutes, add sugar, flour, baking powder. Then add butter and boiling water. Add flavoring of your choice. Pour into greased 9x9 pan. Bake for 25 minutes at 350. Let it cool completely.

Make a batch of your favourite chocolate butter cream icing recipe, but make it quite runny. Open a bag of flaked coconut and pour it into a separate bowl.

Now you are ready to begin the fun, messy part!


My eager helpers, ready for work. I cut the cake into 1" squares in the pan, and then they did the rest.

Take each square of cake and roll it in the runny chocolate icing until it is coated.

Put the square into the bowl of coconut and roll it around until there is coconut sticking on all sides.

Let the icing firm up a bit, and then they are ready to eat. Don't you think they kind of look like snowballs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...