Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines For Classmates

The inspiration....
Earlier in the week a Joy School friend dropped off these yummy and adorable Valentines treats for us. They were sugar cookies that she had baked on a stick to create kind of a cookie-sicle. I just loved them! Such a fun way to make a standard just a little different.

The next day, my kids were elbow deep in Valentine making and I thought 'wouldn't it be cute if we could include a cookie-on-a-stick for the kindergarten kids?'
So this afternoon we hit the kitchen and whipped up a batch of our own, which yielded very fun results.
Just use whatever sugar cookie recipe you love. If you don't happen to have one, here is mine:
1 cup butter (or margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon creme of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
Cream butter and sugar, add the eggs and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix again.
(The dough is quite soft, so you may want to refrigerate it for an hour before you use it, but I always just jump to the rolling and do my best to be gentle and light-handed.) Roll out the dough on a floured surface. I usually like to roll my cookies very thin, but to make the stick more stable, I rolled this out to about 3/4 cm. Cut out hearts with a smallish cookie cutter.

Put the cookie on a greased cookie sheet. Then gently slide a wooden kabob skewer through the cookie at the point. Then we added some Valentines sprinkles.
Since these were thicker, it took about 10-12 minutes at 350 for these to bake.


After they were cooled, we put them in clear cellophane bags and tied them with pink curling ribbon. We punched a hole in the corner of each Valentine my daughter had made, slide the ribbon through it and tied it securely. Then we curled the ribbons and they were done! So cute! We both just love them. She is so excited to slip one of these into the mailbox of each of her friends at school tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...