Thursday, October 27, 2011

Best Pumpkin Cupcakes

Technically, these are muffins. But I added frosting, so I think that officially marks the end of Muffin Territory, and brings you straight into Cupcake Land.

I've got to say, if I had just read this recipe, I never would have tried it. I don't do that whole 'healthy living' thing that often, and anything that calls for bran qualifies. But these really are fantastic. I definitely prefer them to the Pumpkin Muffin recipe I already posted, but these are a little more time consuming.

I got the recipe from a Joy School mom. This is what she made her dinosaur cake with that was so delicious.


Muffins:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oat bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375, and spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the first bowl, and stir until it is all moist. (The batter will be thick). Spoon into muffin cups, and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.

Butterscotch Icing (I have to say, this icing is really what makes these so fabulous!)

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
about 2 cups icing sugar
Mix brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, and cook 2 more minutes. Add the milk, stir until it comes back to a boil. Remove from heat, cool to lukewarm, add vanilla. Gradually add icing sugar until it is a consistency you like.



Gently hold the muffin and dip the top in the icing. As you lift it from the pan, give it a little swirl. Let the icing set. Add a decorative topper, if you want.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...