Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Letter Of The Week - Z


The last Letter of the Week! Wow!

Day One:

Our last letter-of-the-week alphabet book was one that I had been looking forward to: The Z was Zapped by Chris Van Allsburg. This is an illustrator that I have long since loved, and to find out that he had an alphabet book was so exciting. And well worth the wait to get to the end of the alphabet, I might add. Each page shows a letter that is somehow being acted upon, and on the back of the page, it has the text. I liked this format because it let us guess what the word might be that is happening to the letter.

For our final page in our own alphabet book, we decorated our Z with zippers.

Day Two: Z is for Zebra

*We made a zebra puzzle

*We did marble painting, where I cut out a white horse and we rolled black paint to create the stripes

*We made a zebra footprint craft. (How did I not photograph this???? Arg!)

*We read To Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street. (Granted there is only a zebra in there for a second - but he is there!

Day Three: Z is for Zig Zag

Note: I seem to have not taken any pictures at all of this day. That or my memory card is acting up. Either way, sorry to disappoint. It was a pretty low-key day though, so maybe I just didn't find anything 'picture worthy.'

*We sang the Sharon, Lois and Bram song, "Rags" where their pet dog walks 'zig-zag.'

*We cut paper with my scrapbooking scissors to make zig-zags

*We read the poem, 'There Was a Crooked Man'

Day Four: Z is for Zoo

Obviously, this was the best day. And a great way to have a celebration of finishing our Letter of the Week project.

We happened to show up on a day when they were getting a new bear, and there were bear activities and stations all over the zoo celebrating their new animal. So great to just happen upon that!

* We listened to zoo music on the way there

*We read If I ran the Zoo, and Never Ever Shout in a Zoo

And just like that, our Letter of the Week project was over. I'm so glad we did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...