Saturday, February 11, 2012

Family Literacy Day - The Dot

For Family Literacy Day a couple of weeks back, I chose to do The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds. Can I even tell you how much I love this book? My son's teacher read it to his class last year, and he came home and told me about it. When I found it in a book store a few months later, I flipped through it, and bought it on the spot. It has since become a favourite with my oldest daughter.

The book is about a little girl who is in art class, doesn't feel she has any abilities, and therefore refuses to participate. In a moment of frustration, she slams her marker on her paper, makes a dot, and hands it in to her teacher, who then frames it. Her confidence builds, and she explores her new talent, finding different ways to paint with dots. It is seriously great.

For our activity, we did polka-dot painting.

My girl was very meticulous, and made a beautiful picture all through using dots. It was a fun project for our literacy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...